Monday, December 3, 2007

Tis The Season...


Tis the season...for commercials...for keeping up with the Christmas Joneses...for getting that oh so special toy that every other kid is getting...for getting overwhelmed due to family...aaaahhhhhh...Christmas.
I love Christmas. I love the lights, the presents, the thought of giving presents, decorating the tree, sending cards, all the cute little knick-knacks...everything. But what I don't like is how commercial this time of year has become.
When I was shopping for Halloween candy, I saw Christmas lights out. WHAT?! Even before Halloween...are you kidding me! Tis the season for giving, not for getting every penny out of us consumers. And besides, Christmas is not supposed to be for consuming...it is for giving. It is to remember that Baby Jesus was born and died for our sins. It is to remember that family down the road that doesn't have heat or enough food. It is to remember that little 'ol lady that just wants someone to have a cup of tea with her.
I feel for the Christmas season. It is slowly but surely turning into something ugly. I wish I could see giving instead of selfishness. I miss spending it with family instead of competing with thy neighbor. I wish I could see what Jesus would really do instead of how short people can be in rush hour.
Tis the season...I wish. I love the Christmas season. I hope that people can remember what Tis The Season means and get back to the traditions that made this time of year great.


2 comments:

Momisodes said...

I have to agree.. It drives me nuts to see holiday decorations in October! It seems they're putting it out sooner and sooner every year, just marketing for those early shoppers. I hope Christmas will be the same for my daughter as it was for me when I was a child :)

Anonymous said...

I agree! And I love Thanksgiving but it gets lost between Halloween and Christmas.